I was thinking of Owen and his metal.
How he fits the knee braces onto his knees.
It reminded me of my obsession with bows and arrows.
There is a likeness of father in son in the obsession of building something.
This obsession relates to the imagination and wanting to have to create something beyond your means.
I remember I would always think "THAT would make a good bow" or "this would make a good arrow"
and I also remember that time when I made
the perfect bow with
the perfect arrow
that I had made, crafted, from my own
Obsession
Imagination.
I remember walking down the street
holding my creation
and looking over the fence of the neighbors
and seeing Wesley with his store-bought bow
and his store-bought quiver of arrows
and how much better they flew
than the one I crafted.
And my world
my obsession
my imagination
crashed around me that day.
That was the last bow
the last arrow
I will create for my own imagination
Obsession.
I look at my son
and his pieces of metal
his ascension
His obsession
his imagination
Working
The cogs turning inside his head
and I hope
I watch him
wishing and praying that they
do not break or crash
His obsession,
His imagination.
This is the 3rd draft. I'm always interested in trying to revisit my childhood thought process by trying to see through the eyes of my own children and the other way around. This is one of those attempts. Let me know what you think.
ReplyDelete